Saturday, February 6, 2010

Research Proposal

An abundant amount of literature taught and directed toward high school students references rape and/or physical abuse. I would like to find out whether or not this exposure has an effect on the perception of sexual or interpersonal relationships or also of literature for adolescents. As a broader idea from this topic, I would like to know if students respond with more interest in "controversial" topics in literature than they do toward "classics" that we as teachers are expected to love. I came upon this topic through a discussion during the literary circles in class. If you think about all of the literature that you read in high school or that is generally taught in high school classes, as well as recommended for high school students, never blatantly reference sex-- unless it is rape or abuse of some kind. After attempting to come up with novels and literary examples to discount this idea, all I could think of was Shakespeare, which never directly referenced sexual acts, or novels taught in AP or high level classes. This presents a few questions: why do authors focus more on scaring events than the normal or mundane that everyone must deal with? how do students respond to controversial topics such as rape and abuse in literature they are exposed to in the classroom and does it have an effect on their ideas of relationships? how can these scenes of traumatic experiences teach students about dealing with those types of situations?
For my research I plan to consult at least one major literary journal to see if this idea has ever bee researched before. I also have a growing list of books both taught and recommended in high school classes that show examples of sexual or physical abuse, some of which I will explore and analyze in order to see some of the authors tactics and intentions with inserting this type of situation into their work.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent idea, and I am 100% in favor of it. I have always wanted to research this topic myself, so I will be extremely interested in reading your paper. I would recommend that you consult the ERIC database and search adolescent literature (or young adult literature) and rape. That's probably the best staring point. Then, you might look for articles specifically on Speak. I would almost bet they would mention other books that you could use. Anyway, fantastic idea, and please let me know if you need any help.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete