Monday, January 25, 2010

Is It Worth Teaching?

The article for this week presented some interesting questions about what books are chosen for literature classes as well as why they are chosen. The idea that we are assigned one or two books to represent the entire history of one particular minority is very interesting and true. I think that what is most interesting about this article is that the author does not really give an answer to this question. He give some advice and suggestions for resolving the ADD ON or ADD ONE but kind of laments that a solution to this problem is not easily found.
In relation to the books we have read thus far in this course, I feel that the most important question to ask as a future teacher is "why would I teach this in my class?" In response to Copper Sun, I would say that teaching this book gives students a well rounded glimpse of slavery through the eyes of an actual slave. Though some of the responses and emotions of the main character may be somewhat understated and may sometimes seem a little too sugar coated, I think that overall, the novel presents an idea of what life was like from capture to auction and enslavement in a manner that gives the reader an idea of the horror and brutality in which these people were subjected to live while maintaining some sort of hope and spirit, which is appropriate for the age of the children reading this novel.
In terms of Harry Potter, I would teach this novel because of the message of cooperation, understanding, and acceptance that is promoted and portrayed throughout the series. Rowling's depiction of children of varying backgrounds coming together and embracing what makes them different from "normal" people can convey the same message to children, that appearance, ability, and background are not necessarily important nor a factor in how your life turns out or what you chose to do with your life.
I have a different opinion of Twilight. Personally, I would probably never teach this in my classroom, though I would put it on my shelf and encourage any of my students to read it if they were interested. I feel that the portrayal of the obsession Bella has for Edward does not relay that kind of message that is worth taking the time in my class to teach. As the article stated, it is hard enough to fit in the classics, things we are expected to teach, and novels representative of minority development or history, to have to take time teaching things we really do not like or with which we have little faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment